unpicking dns packets in strace'd programs

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Sat Oct 20 17:00:23 UTC 2001

Previously John Hughes wrote:
> 1. we had a pointer to a decoder func for each fd, so we
>    could add extra formats easily.

I actually have a partial decoding function written which is
supposed to be used for a strace rewrite. It was supposed to
be used for all syscalls and datastructures but it should work
just fine for this as well. I might have time to get that working
next week, but I can't make any promised (I'll be in tokyo
for a OSDN-JA event).

> 2. we could automaticaly decide what the format was, e.g.
>    if it's port 53 it's probably DNS?

That should really be done through a configuration file or
a commandline option.

Wichert.