strace and clone

Wichert Akkerman wichert at cistron.nl
Sun Sep 3 22:16:34 UTC 2000

I finally got around to looking at clone() support in strace. It
seems that changing the argument like it did doesn't work since the
kernel has already decoded it by then. So, out goes setargs (it's still
in the code but might as well be removed), and in goes the breakpoint
trick (needed anyway) and the normal fork() handling.

Also had to make a minor change in file.c to get things compiling
again with the latest libc (haven't checked glibc 2.1.93 yet),
and the end result seems to be that strace handles clone. At
least it handles the testcase (test/clone.c) nicely.

Can people please test if clone tracing works for them? I'm interested
in both success and failure reports, preferably with kernel version
and architecture mentioned.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert at wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |