[GSOC] greetings and request for support for my microproject

Shotaro Gotanda g.sho1500 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 14:57:54 UTC 2020

Hello, everyone.
This is Shotaro Gotanda, a graduate student studying computer science
and a prospective student for the GSOC project.

Actually, I'm interested in and studying Linux containers these days.
This is how I'm interested in "namespace support" project
because this feature is the very feature I want for examining containers.

For the moment, I'm working on a micro project for implementing
%namespaces trace class
which is for tracing namespaces-relevant system calls (referred in [1]).

During the process, I'm facing several problems.

Firstly, I tried checkpatch.pl script (with --no-tree option)
on previous patches like [2] submitted on the strace-devel mailing list,
but some ERRORs were detected.
Please tell me how to decide my patches are correct with the script.

Next, I referred a patch which is made for implementing %creds trace class
and found several related commits [3,4] which were not mentioned in
the mailing list.
Is it allowed to submit only a patch for implementation?
or should I make patches for tests and the command line help message?

I'm sorry for my long post,
but I'm excited to have the opportunity to contribute to my favorite tool.

Thank you and best regards,
Shotaro Gotanda

[1] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/namespaces.7.html
[2] https://lists.strace.io/pipermail/strace-devel/2019-December/009294.html