Edgar Kaziakhmedov's GSoC status report - #1 of 13

Edgar Kaziahmedov edos at linux.com
Tue Jun 6 10:14:16 UTC 2017

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 01:37:01 +0300
"Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv at altlinux.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 09:54:29AM +0300, Edgar Kaziahmedov wrote:
> > Hi, Strace Community
> >
> > Advanced syscall information tool
> > Accomplishments:
> > -> Edited configure and created Makefile.am's in tools and
> > tools/asinfo directories to build multiple executables.
> > -> Confirmed the final version of the first options to be used,
> > tool provides two short and long parameters to make input more
> > understandable $ asinfo --get-number[-n] write (will show all
> > matches) 1 write
> > $ asinfo --get-syscall[-s] 1 (vice versa)
> > $ asinfo --get-kernel-file[-k] 1|write
> > //path to the file with implementation in the running kernel
> > $ asinfo --get-args[-a] 1|write
> > ssize_t write(int fd, const void *buf, size_t count)
> > $ asinfo --help[-h]
> > //help
> > /* keys for filter syscall will be added later */
> >
> > Speaking about multiarch support, I thought that there is no
> > need in support all archs in the runtime. The arch could be
> > determined while compilating for the current machine, because
> > strace works this way and this tool is complementary for it.
>
> strace project has developed an unique syscallent database that
> covers all supported architectures, but hasn't developed a tool to
> query this database - up to this moment the best tool available seems
> to be grep. The main goal of "advanced syscall information tool"
> project as I understand it is to implement this query tool, so it
> obviously has to cover the whole syscallent database with all
> supported architectures.
Now it is clear.

> By this time I expected to discuss a finalized UI design of the new
> tool, not the very basic functionality.
Yes, but the functionality of this tool is not such wide. The main idea
here is to implement a special midlayer to query syscalls regardless of
architecture. After that all features could be implemented so easily.

> Our syscallent database currently contains (for each supported
> architecture) at least the following information about each syscall:
> - syscall number
> - syscall name
> - number of syscall arguments
> - syscall flags
> In addition to this information, you also had an idea to provide
> a syscall prototype.
And here it needs to expand the syscallent database, for instance, in
each architecture-purposed folder create a special file sysinfo.h to
store prototypes.