Google summer of code participation?

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Wed Feb 5 01:01:50 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 07:35:03PM +0100, Philippe Ombredanne wrote:
> All:
> Is there any interest in participating the Google Summer of code as an 'org'?
> The benefit is to have one or a few select students working to propose
> patches on strace for 3 months compensated by Google.
> I am sure there are a few good ideas that we could submit for student
> to work on.
>
> I am rather familiar with the GSOC process, having managed the program
> for the Eclipse foundation a few years back.
>
> For instance one of such ideas could be to work out a JSON output,
> which is likely a rather involved piece of work.
> There are likely several other areas of higher priorities that you
> would want someone tasked to work on or solve.

Yes, I can name at least two more ideas suitable for GSoC:
- Reliable multiarch support.  The way how it's implemented now is
  inherently unreliable, parsers for the given personality have to be
  compiled for that personality.
- Comprehensive test suite.  The test suite we have now is far from
  covering all branches of all parsers yet.